Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs, and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells can't. But you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper can. And you discover that the person you thought you were is NO match for the one you really are.

-Anonymos

01 August 2016

2016 Utah Valley Half Marathon

As you know, I went back and forth about whether or not I would participate in the Utah Valley Half Marathon this year.  When I'm struggling with injury and lack of motivation because of excess weight, racing just doesn't have the same appeal it usually does.  It's even a bit scary to show up feeling unprepared for something others have spent months training for.  But I did it.  I showed up.

 It was super cold



It was a  beautiful morning with a wondrous  sunrise, and I was determined to walk this race, no matter how long it took me to finish.  Especially since I forgot to charge my Ipod Shuffle and would be tackling the 13.1 miles with my own meandering thoughts.  I figured I would survive.  What I underestimated was the amount of stress that walking actually puts on our bodies.  It hurt to walk.  Not at first, of course.  But by mile 2, all my body wanted to do was run.  And listening to my body has been the theme of my past year so, I ran.

Until my lungs needed a break, then I walked.  I went back and forth between running and walking the whole distance.  When walking I had the chance to talk to other walkers.  It was fun.  Everyone participating in a gorgeous morning together.  The birds singing, the water rushing by, the honking cars, and cheering sections along the route were great motivators.  I thoroughly enjoyed unplugging and experiencing the world around me while I moved along the course.





I finished the course way faster than I thought I would.  I finished in 2 hours 55 minutes and 58 seconds.  Under 3 Hours!!  My goal was under 4.  I feel good about this.  Walking didn't even slow my pace all that much.  I was only 20 minutes slower than the last time I ran the Half.  I'm glad that I had to slow down and walk.  It helped me to relax about my time.  It's okay if I have to walk during a race.  It's okay to listen to my body.  Just BE at that moment.




Be what my body needs
Be me
Be present in the experience
Be happy

Maybe my new race mantra?  Just Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment