Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs, and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells can't. But you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper can. And you discover that the person you thought you were is NO match for the one you really are.

-Anonymos

04 August 2016

Hiking: Lisa Falls

This summer, I really wanted to get my kids out and enjoying our beautiful mountains.  And what better way to get out of the Utah Smog than to head to higher ground?  So, I set up a weekly schedule.  Most of the weeks I kept to it, but sometimes there just needed to be adjustments. 

Our first week was Lisa Falls.  Because of our sedentary lives throughout the winter, I wanted to make sure to start slowly for my kids.  This hike was perfect.  It's super short and sends you to a fun little waterfall. 

Lisa Falls is located about 3 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon. There is parking right next to the trail head and across the street.  We didn't have any trouble finding a place to park.  I don't really remember this hike being very well marked.  I don't remember seeing a sign, but there might be.

I read differing distances for this trail.  Everything from .3 miles round trip to 1.1 miles round trip.  I didn't happen to GPS it that day, so we'll just go with it's short.  Only a hop skip and a jump from the road.  My kids and I got out of our car and headed up the trail.  There were a lot of rocks and protruding tree roots along the trail, but nothing little kids can't climb and jump off of. 

There is a little stream to cross right before you reach the falls.  Once at the falls, there are many rocks to sit on and have lunch or a little snack.  There is lots of bouldering to be done.  My kids loved climbing all over the rocks. 


This is definitely a great hike for little kids, or anyone carrying kids.  I was relieved to find that it was so short.  I thought I would spend the day with whining kids.  No whining = success.

Things I learned from this hike:

1.  Shoes:  I learned that real hiking shoes are an absolute must.  My kids were just in their runners and spent most of the hike slipping and sliding around.  It made them quite nervous.

2.  Water:  I know how important it is to stay hydrated, but carrying water bottles is such a hassle.  And having two little kids trying to get in and out of their bags to get it, while spilling it's contents all over is a time consumer and very frustrating.   So, I learned that having a water bladder in each of their packs is also a must.  Not to mention fun.  They think the straw is so cool to drink out of.

3.  Sunscreen:  Yes, sunscreen is super important.  Always needed.  But what I learned was, make sure your hands are wiped off and clean before touching your phone/camera.  Otherwise you get pictures like mine.  Clearly showing the smeared sunscreen across the lens.  (And I couldn't see the foggy pictures in the crazy sun. So sad.)



Lisa Falls Hike Details:

Distance – short.  Between .3 and 1.1 miles round trip


Approximate hiking time – 30 minutes to 1 hour

Difficulty – Easy


Trail – Dirt, rock, and tree roots


Bathrooms – None

Permits – None needed
 

Pets – Not permitted





How to get there:


From Salt Lake City or from Provo, take I-15 to the 9000 South exit (Exit 295). Turn east onto 9000 South (UT-209) and follow it for 7.2 miles to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Even though you stay on the same road, 9000 South changes to 9400 South and then to 9600 South as it heads east and goes into Little Cottonwood Canyon. Arriving at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, you come to a junction with Wasatch Blvd from the north.  Continue up Little Cottonwood Canyon Road for 2.7 miles, which is between mileposts 6 and 7. You’ll see a small parking area on the right side of the road, followed by a small parking area on the left side of the road. Park on the left side of the road if possible, as the trail to Lisa Falls starts there.

No comments:

Post a Comment