Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs, and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells can't. But you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper can. And you discover that the person you thought you were is NO match for the one you really are.

-Anonymos

11 October 2010

Wasatch Woman 5K 2010

This race took place at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, Utah. There was a whole lot of disorganization. It was kind of disappointing. They didn't have the route marked very well, so some people ran farther than they were supposed to. They started AND finished at the same location. (I didn't like this) They cut off our chips immediately after we crossed the finish line followed directly by handing us goody-bags and water. This caused a backup of people trying to cross the finish line in a timely manner. Those things should NEVER be DIRECTLY after the finish line, AND there should have been a direct path farther away to tables with the stuff AND food. I NEVER made it to the food because there were too many people in a space that hadn't had the setup planned very well. It was quite frustrating.

HOWEVER,

I did have a lot of fun. I was met by my Mom and some friends at the race. It was chilly that morning.

Before the race:

The many women there lined up waiting to start:
(we all had to wait for like 25 minutes at the start because some of the 10K runners had run a different route and they had to find them. It wasn't marked very well)

There I am, waiting for the beginning:

Off we go:

We all went at different paces. Remember how I told you that my knees hurt sometimes when walking? Well, they hurt pretty early in the race, so after like 1/2 a mile, I ran.

I ran the whole time. I had NO idea that the gardens were full of hills. Running up and down and then up and down again was really tiring when I haven't been running that much. It was a good thing that I had the runaway strap on or I would have lost my little Sweet Pea. There were a couple of hills where she was definitely moving faster than I was. (I wouldn't recommend running this race with a stroller, not because of the hills, but because the walk ways through the garden are narrow and you have to maneuver around people.)

We did it! Our first race together. We came in 84th/189 in my age group. I ran it in 45:36. That's a 12:14 minute mile. I am so glad I ran. It felt wonderful.
On to the next race.

Anyone know of a really fun Turkey Trot to do?

4 comments:

  1. that looks like fun. i now wish i had done it. i am walking. i got in 6 1/2 miles last week and hope to do 10 this week. your sweet pea is adorable. and you look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are AWESOME!!! Good job sister! Great time and cute pictures! I hate unorganization especially when they have been planning it for so long but great job doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tali,
    Sign up for the next race. It will be so much fun. I'm so glad that you are walking. 6.5 miles is Awesome!! Keep it up.

    Queen of Kings,
    Thanks for the text that morning. It was nice to know someone was thinking about me that morning and wishing me well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so fun, especially with you and sweet pea! I'm ready for the next walk/run.

    ReplyDelete